Monday, May 23, 2011

Yickens



I have had so many people asking about why in the world we would raise chickens. So I will tell you. M'deary has an aversion to inside pets. This was our compromise. The little chicks had to be inside a little over two months, but now they can be out in their shed. This breed of chicken does well in cold and heat, but I'm a softie and put out a heat lamp for them.

Chickens as pets? Yes. I fondly remember my little bantam hen that would ride around on the handle bars of my bike and follow me like a puppy when I was little. These were raised from chicks and come running to us whenever we go outside and mope around their coop when we are in. They are very social and like to be near the kids.

People. Why wouldn't you want an inexpensive pet that would magically transform ants, earwigs, slugs, etc into yummy eggs? Because they can free range and clean up your yard at the same time, feeding them is very inexpensive.

Messy you say? Well then you have too many in a small yard. We have yet to smell anything or even step on anything. Mine are usually free roaming and it just absorbs into the grass and garden as fertilizer. The stinking cottonwood tree with its resin sticky pods is far worse. Can't avoid those.


If you only have hens, as we do, they are quiet! No awful barking/howling all night.

We have been told that there are rats in our area and cleaned dead ones out of our shed before we moved in. Chickens will attack them and chase them out or kill them.

They are also super-low maintenance. Fill up the water and food every few days and clean the coop straw 1-2 times a year using the deep litter method.
Inside the coop we put straw and this composts into lovely stuff for the garden. If you do it right, this doesn't smell, either and the litter is wonderful for gardens.

Besides all this, I think they are hilarious and make the funniest little growling/peeping/honking sounds. And like all favored animals in my world, they have their own endearment name of "yickens." I also like gucks-ducks, woos-birds, sinas-cats, and grogs-dogs.
Attacking some ants on our patio the day after we dropped some food out there. Seriously gobbled a whole ant colony in a matter of minutes. I was so pleased. They come every time I call them. I wish children were this obedient :)

11 comments:

  1. They sound like such fun pets. Boy have they gotten big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now if only i could convince merrill... doubtful. i don't have the huge garden i wanted. :( i think they sound lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those yickens! I remember when we had those pet ducks at grandmas house! Do you remember?
    I agree, having a dog, Yickens are 100% better. I hate scooping up dog poo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm tempted. Is it really that easy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't even have to convince me- I was on your side before- but now I'm utterly convinced. What an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We loved the ducks. We always planned on have chicken or ducks or something. Now wen will have to wait until Blackie dies. Oh Well. Someday

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi. the gucks were brudhilda and gilbert, i believe. i think i was afraid of them. but i certainly do want yickens someday. i know i could just ask you for a refresher on how to care from them, as i occasionally ask how to care for children too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know quite a few people who raise chickens, and I think it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have chickens? you have chickens! Where have I been? under a rock. i've been wanting chickens for 3 years now for the eggs. I had no idea that they were so social and good for all those other reasons. Wish I had the couple thousand dollars to build a fence so that i could get some. sigh.

    ReplyDelete