Sunday, February 12, 2012

Words

We were having fun at lunch today and remembering how the littles used to say their words when they were even littler. They all wanted to know what they said "cute." So I thought I should put it down since I am forgetting so fast.

Goosie- Currently calls her thumb her "flum"

Bitty- "Does this food have any 'fiver'?" (fiber)

Bryguy- libary

Claus- slammitch. As in "Can you please make me a slammitch?" This is one of my all time faves.

Babs- I couldn't remember one. I'll have to dig out my journal. But I do remember the pained look on her face as her toddler friends mispronounced words and I would see her mouth the right way to herself. She has always been good with words. No babbling or such for her. It was kinda sad. Actually, I just remembered that she mispronounced library too, but she added too many syllables. It was "libe-er-ary"

Then they asked about M'deary and me. I told them gramma said that I called fingers "thingers" and when we were married, I had to inform M'deary that "plogged" wasn't actually a word. (He made me look it up to be sure) It is a smashing together of plugged and clogged. I still don't think he quite believes me.

I will have to rack my brains to think of more. It was one of the things that kept me going when they were so little-yet so frustrating; to enjoy the funny words that were derivatives of real words.

2 comments:

  1. So fun and so cute!

    Did Babs get 'hamburger' right? I think pretty much every kid slaughters that one a different way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cousin L replaces how with who as in "who bout that"

    ReplyDelete